What are essential oils and their uses?
Essential oils have dozens of benefits for the body and mind. They can be used to aid you physically, emotionally and mentally. These oils are becoming more popular as people seek an alternative to synthetic products.
Essential oils are compounds extracted from plants. Because these oils are so concentrated, caution needs to be exercised when using. They need to be diluted and either inhaled or mixed with a carrier oil and should not be digested or applied directly to your skin. It is advised that small children and elderly not use these oils as they may have a reaction to them.
Using Essential Oils
- Using as an alternative to perfume
- Diffusing in an oil diffuser
- Applying a drop to a cloth and inhaling
On your skin
- Mix with carrier oil and rub on required area
Other ways to use
- Mix your preferred oil with water and spray over your living/dining room to freshen up those spaces. You can also freshen up linen this way.
- Add some drops of oil to a warm bath
- Add a small amount of oil to a moisturiser to apply to your skin
Some popular essential oils include
- Lavender oil
- Lemon oil
- Peppermint oil
- Orange oil
- Grapefruit oil
- Myrhh oil
- Tea Tree Oil
- Frankincense oil